Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Friday, February 6, 2015
Acceptance notification to participants:
Friday, March 6, 2015
Summer Institute Goals:
The 2015 IC-IMPACTS Summer Institute in optical sensing technologies has been designed to:
- Build participants’ knowledge and understanding of the latest developments and challenges within the academic sector, industrial sector, and international landscape of innovation in the field of optical sensing technologies;
- Provide a meaningful and high quality training experience for participants; and,
- Develop connections between students and research groups between Canada and India.
The following costs will be borne by IC-IMPACTS for all applicants selected to attend the 2015 Optics Summer Institute:
- Return travel to Toronto (economy airfare for Indian students or cost of land travel, ie., bus or train ticket up to the equivalent of an economy airfare for Canadian students)
- Accommodation at the University of Toronto student residences (from Sunday, June 14 to Saturday, June 20 inclusive)
- Attendance at all sessions
- Opening reception, networking reception, and closing reception
- Lunches during the Institute
- Hosted dinners (2)
Those attending the 2015 Optics Summer Institute will receive:
- Copy of the Summer Institute proceedings
- Certificate of Completion
All participants will be expected to bear some of the costs associated with attending the 2015 Summer Optics Institute such as travel health insurance, trip cancellation insurance and other incidentals.
The 2015 IC-IMPACTS Summer Institute is open to any student studying in Canada or India who:
- Is registered for study in September 2015, in a masters, doctoral or post-doctoral program at a recognized university in Canada or India (including the Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institutes of Science) AND
- Has undertaken coursework and/or research related to optical sensing technologies in infrastructure, water or mobile health.
The Summer Institute Steering Committee will assess applications based on the following criteria:
- Relevant academic training and experience to date
- Alignment of coursework and/or research to one of the IC-IMPACTS’ research areas (infrastructure, water or mobile health) AND to the specific theme of the 2015 Summer Institute i.e., optical sensing technologies
- Clarity, coherence and presentation of the applicant’s research interests and the poster abstract
- Expected contribution to the applicant’s knowledge, research program, and career goals
- Connection, if applicable, of the applicant to IC-IMPACTS
Up to 50 Applicants will be selected for the 2015 Summer Institute.
HOW TO APPLY
- Prepare supporting documents in pdf files (these will be uploaded on the Applicant Information page):
- Summary of Research Interests (maximum 700 words)
- Poster Abstract (maximum 500 words)
- Curriculum Vitae
- The summary should include your
- connection to IC-IMPACTS (if applicable);
- research interests/thesis/dissertation topic;
- relevant coursework or research experience to date;
- relevant publications or presentations, if applicable;
- how participation in this Institute will enhance your future study, research work and/or apply to your future career plans
- Letter of support from Supervisor, Graduate Program Director, or Department Chair.
- Complete the Applicant Information form (online)
NOTE: All documents must be submitted at the time of application for a submission to be considered of value and eligible for consideration.
Applicants will be notified of the success of their applications by March 6, 2015.
If you have any questions, please contact Helena Fehr, Manager of Training Programs, IC-IMPACTS at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +1 604 827 1588.